When will homework be set?
Key Stage 3 (Years 7 & 8)
- For Year 7 students there will be no Preparation set until Learning Cycle 2 to aid students in the transition process.
- Students are taught how to plan and manage their Preparation through tutor time and Learning 4 Life sessions.
- For Learning Cycles 2-4 Preparation is set as outlined on the Preparation timetable above. (30-45 mins)
Key Stage 4 (Years 9, 10 and 11)
- Preparation is content driven, with the aim that students learn something.
- The setting of preparation alternates each week between core (English, Mathematics and Science) and options subjects. See the Preparation timetable above (45 - 60 mins).
Checking up on homework
- Subject teachers are responsible for making sure that it is entered online and may ask students to record it in their planner for checking that it has been completed satisfactorily, for marking it and feeding back to the students.
- Form tutors regularly check that Preparation is being completed. Parents are also asked to check Varndean PLUS and to discuss its completion with their child.
- Preparation is also monitored by Heads of Department.
- Good Preparation is rewarded using the school’s and departments' procedures.
- If it is not completed or handed in on time without a good reason, such as illness or other genuine difficulties this will be followed up by the teacher.
- If a pattern of non-completion develops, the parents will be informed via Varndean PLUS, an email or a telephone call.