Skip to content ↓

The Business department is committed to ensure all students acquire the knowledge and skills to achieve their business acumen.

The department currently offers BTEC Tech Award in Enterprise - Level 1 & 2

 

 

The difference between try and triumph is a little umph.

AUTHOR UNKNOWN

Why study this subject? 

Business prepares you well for a wide variety of career paths. Students will have the opportunity to develop a range of skills including: independent research; application of knowledge; analysis of scenarios and information; synthesis of research gathered; justification of decisions made; evaluation of overall performance and presentation techniques. All valuable skills needed across a variety of employment sectors.  

Topics of Study and Assignments

BTEC TECH Award in Enterprise

Assessment Information:

Component 1: Exploring Enterprises Weighting: 30% Assessment: internally assessed through three assignments to be completed in class. Two assignments in Year 10 and one assignment in Year 11.

Component 2: Planning for and Running an Enterprise Weighting: 30% Assessment: internally assessed through three assignments to be completed in class in Year 11.

Component 3: Promotion and Finance for Enterprise Weighting: 40% Assessment: externally assessed task where your learners will be provided with a case study of a small to medium enterprise and complete a series of activities. This will be a two hour written exam that will be sat in Year 10.

Key Topics

Component 1: Exploring Enterprises Aim: examine different enterprises to develop knowledge and understanding of the characteristics of enterprises and the skills needed by entrepreneurs.

Component 2: Planning for and Running an Enterprise Aim: select an enterprise idea to plan, pitch for and run.

Component 3: Promotion and Finance for Enterprise Aim: explore promotional methods, financial records, planning and forecasting.

What is needed to study this course?

You are not required to have any previous business experience, but should consider yourself to have a high level of interest in the working of the business world. It would be beneficial, but not essential, for you to have some understanding of the impact of business on society, perhaps through parental work or your own employment experience (paper round, babysitting etc), in order to be able to draw on this in class. You should be prepared to conduct yourself in a business-like manner in class and fully embrace the expectations of the world of work through your own work ethic and a high standard of personal integrity.

Progression Routes The BTEC TECH Award in Enterprise

Level 1 & 2 provides the knowledge, understanding and skills for level 2 learners to progress to:

Other level 2 vocational qualifications 

Level 3 vocational qualifications, such as BTEC Nationals, specifically the Edexcel BTEC Level 3 in Business (QCF)  

Competency‚Äźbased qualifications such as the Edexcel BTEC NVQ Level 2 in either Business Administration or Team Leading, or the Edexcel BTEC NVQ Level 3 in either Business Administration or Management, or their corresponding apprenticeships.

Related academic qualifications, such as GCE A’ Level in Business or Applied GCE in Business

Employment within the business industry, for example entry level job roles within the sector. You should be aware that 60% of this course is written assignments and the other 40% is an exam, so if you are opting for this subject you need to feel confident in English and Mathematics.

The Team

Ms Fran Perry is  a teacher of Business and is qualified with a Business and Leisure Management Degree BA Hons. She has previously been a teacher of Business at Worthing College, Northbrook College and at Dorothy Stringer. She has also been a teacher of Travel and Tourism at Sussex Downs College. Her interests include being outdoors and spending time with child.

Events and Activities

AMEX Business Master Class, run by Albion in the Community Enterprise Day at Varndean 6th Form.

Contact

Email:  franperry@varndean.co.uk