When will Preparation be set?
Key Stage 3 (Years 7 & 8)
- For Year 7 students there will be no Preparation set until Learning Cycle 1 week 5 to aid students in the transition process.
- Students are taught how to plan and manage their Preparation through tutor time and Learning 4 Life sessions.
- Preparation is set as outlined on the Preparation timetable above. (30-45 mins per subject)
Key Stage 4 (Years 9, 10 and 11)
- Preparation is content driven, with the aim that students learn something.
- The setting of preparation alternates each week between core (English, Mathematics and Science) and options subjects. See the Preparation timetable above (45 - 60 mins per subject).
Checking up on Preparation
- Subject teachers are responsible for making sure that it is entered online, checking that it has been completed satisfactorily, marking it and feeding back to the students.
- Form tutors regularly check that Preparation is being completed. Parents are also asked to check Varndean PLUS and to discuss its completion with their child.
- Preparation is also monitored by Heads of Department.
- Good Preparation is rewarded using the school’s and departments' procedures.
- If it is not completed or handed in on time without a good reason, such as illness or other genuine difficulties this will be followed up by the teacher.
- If a pattern of non-completion develops, the parents will be informed via Varndean PLUS, an email or a telephone call.